[sr-dev] TLS: Sip-Routers adds a Record-Route with "sip" scheme rather than "sips"

Martin Hoffmann martin.hoffmann at telio.ch
Wed Jul 6 10:37:40 CEST 2011

Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> 2011/7/6 Martin Hoffmann <martin.hoffmann at telio.ch>:
> >> Yes, SIPS: is really messy and hard to understand.
> >
> > I'd argue it's completely broken like so many things in SIP. IETF went
> > out to publish a document to fix it. After much argueing, this became
> > RFC 5630 and people are confused as ever.
>
> Main cause of the confussion ever after RFC 5630, is the fact that
> such RFC does not want to cover the ;transport=tls case in deep (which
> exists anyway as RFC 2543 and RFC 3261 mention it).

Why would it need to. There is _no_ transport=tls in 2543 and 3261 says
explicitely "don't use it; we just kept it in to stipulate long-winded
future discussions" (already it doesn't say the latter bit). The purpose
of 5630 was to explain the whole SIPS thing. Obviously, it failed.

Just to repeat it once more (because this is fun): The use of the value
"tls" for the transport URI parameter has never been mandated by any SIP
standard.

Regards,
Martin