[sr-dev] TLS: Sip-Routers adds a Record-Route with "sip" scheme rather than "sips"

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Wed Jul 6 00:32:44 CEST 2011

2011/7/5 Martin Hoffmann <martin.hoffmann at telio.ch>:
> I think the upshot of it all is that there is no more transport=tls. If
> you want TLS, you have to do use the sips scheme with transport=tcp; if
> you want DTLS, you do sips with transport=udp.

And if you want TLS over SCTP, you must use an URI with sips schema
with ;transport=sctp (rather than ;transport=tls-sctp).
In fact, RFC 4168 (SCTP for SIP) defines TLS-SCTP for the Via
transport (which uses TLS meaning TLS over TCP). But in case of an URI
transport param, "tls-sctp" is not defined. Instead sips schema and
;transport=sctp must be used.

This would mean that the correct way to go is using sips schema.

Just a question: For now SIP-Router does not implement SCTP over TLS.
Think about how will look a Record-Route when the incoming INVITE
arrives via STCP over TLS.

> This is somewhat consistent with SRV, where for SIP over TLS you would
> use the prefix _sips._tcp.

And for SCTP over TLS you would use _sips._sctp.

Cheers.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>