[sr-dev] IMS branch

Carsten Bock carsten at ng-voice.com
Tue Apr 26 13:38:36 CEST 2011

Hi Klaus,

My Motivation for the IMS branch is, that i actually like the idea of IMS.
Currently, at Telefonica/O2 in Germany (without HanseNet, who will
follow later), we have about ~27% of our cusomters already using IMS
as a fixed-line replacement, in a "normal" VoIP-Provider scenario. The
number growing daily, we have scheduled to reach 100% at the end of
Q2. At the moment we have no mobile integration yet, that will follow
in Q3/Q4 2011 together with the LTE roll-out.
We also have several resellers on the Telefonica-IMS platform, using
similar scenarios. Probably somewhen we might even migrate our Class 4
infrastructure towards an IMS solution... At Telefonica we use the
Ericsson IMS platform, unfortunately no Kamailio and no Open-Source. I
believe, Kamailio and Open-Source IMS were too late for Telefonica.
There are no efforts made from my employer "Telefonica" to implement
IMS in Kamailio (except from donating my time working on it, when
there is nothing else to do).
"Status quo" for me: For me there is no commercial motivation for
making the move towards IMS (yet), except from propagating open-source
and bringing Kamailio forward.

Kind regards,
Carsten

> Hi!
>
> Carsten, Jason, I wonder what is the main motivation for you to have IMS
> components?
>
> Are you using Kamailio in an mobile operator environment and thus have
> to support all the IMS interfaces, or do you plan to use those modules
> also in "normal" VoIP provider scenarios (benefits?)
>
> Thanks
> Klaus

Carsten Bock
http://www.ng-voice.com