[sr-dev] Kamailio TLS Problem

laura testi lau.testi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 19:22:31 CEST 2011

Hi all,
I'm trying to use the TLS module in order to allow the secure communication
between Kamailio server v. 3.1.3 as registrar and presence server and my PC
Client.
I'm using SIP Communicator (Jitsi).

When the PC client open the SSL connection to Kamailio server for
Register/Subscriber/Publish messages, all seems OK. We see the PC client
send "Client Hello" and the Kamailio answer "Server Hello" then they
exchange the SIP messages (Register/Subscriber/Publish and thier answer).

We observed a strange behavior, when Kamailio try to send the Notify to PC
client, it open a new SSL connection as a client from kamailio to PC client
and send the "Client Hello" to PC client, but PC client send back the
Handshake Failure (40) Fatal error back to Kamailio.

Here are the doubts:
- why kamailio open a new ssl connection to PC in order to send the Notify
even the ssl connection is already opened by PC?
- is it the problem of the PC client which can not treat as a SSL server?

Is it a PC client's problem or Kamailio's problem?

The error in the kamailio site is:
 /usr/sbin/kamailio[4483]: ERROR: tls [tls_server.c:1174]: TLS
connect:error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert
handshake failure
/usr/sbin/kamailio[4483]: ERROR: <core> [tcp_read.c:882]: ERROR:
tcp_read_req: error reading

Could you please suggest another SIP client supporting the TLS protocol?

thanks anf kind regards.

laura