[sr-dev] flavours differences

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 22:38:37 CEST 2010

On 9/30/10 10:11 PM, Jon Bonilla (Manwe) wrote:
> El Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:50:19 +0300
> Juha Heinanen<jh at tutpro.com>  escribió:
>
>> a couple of extra weeks would be worth spending if we could then have
>> only one flavor.
>>
>> -- juha
>>

> +1
>
> Which release policy do we have? A la Debian or a la Ubuntu?
>
> I'd like to read "sr will be ready when it's ready"

"ready" doesn't mean "nothing else to do". Otherwise we never release.

The problem with a not clear release policy is time planning. For
example, I tried to free my September to work as much as possible on
testing and preparing the release as we planned it. Other probably
planned to wait a bit for some deployments just to benefit of some new
features. Changing these kind of milestones last minute does not bring
anything positive.

Considering ser's developers approach on the least effects on
performance, initially I thought it is a trivial impact at least
regarding the statistics, believing that all stats were migrated to new
API, but proved not to be like this after Andrei's remarks. To be clear,
Kamailio flavour has already all these on in 3.0 and works just fine, it
is just affecting ser flavour.

Considering that major changes will require a new round of all tests,
mixed with the fact that some cannot spend any longer much time on such
things in the near future (at least me), means probably 3 months, that
overlaps with winter holidays, so it is 4 months.

If we do it a release now, 3.1, with current tested code, next will be
in about 6-8 months, with other new features and things like new stats
better propagated. Andrei talked now about only common modules to be
migrated to new stats API, by 3.2 we will probably have all stats with
the new API.

http://www.asipto.com