[sr-dev] git:master: xcap_server: support parsing oma pres-rules auid

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 12:47:22 CEST 2010

On 9/30/10 12:46 AM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> 2010/9/30 Daniel-Constantin Mierla<miconda at gmail.com>:
>>> This means that the XCAP server MUST behave as a SIP presence server
>>> in order to allow or deny the icon of user B to user A. Painful? Yes.
>> Well, then this xcap server can do more than I expected so far, because it
>> can behave like a presence server :-) since kamailio is a presence server.
>>
>> You can check the authorization status for watchers in config, iirc, Juha
>> added it:
>> http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/devel/modules_k/presence.html#id2941538
>>
>> So, when there is a query for someone's resources, you can check in the
>> config if querying person is allowed to see presence of queried person.
> Yes, but this mechanism is a bit "weak". Imagine I'm allowed by Bob
> and retrieve his icon. Later Bob's blocks me. Now if my client tries
> to retrieve his icon again I would receive a 403 or 404 (customizable
> using the script). Any code tells me that I've been blocked.
>
> For sure all of us know web pages like "Discover if your friend has
> blocked you in MSN !!!". Well, here is a way to do the same in this
> "cool" SIP/SIMPLE specification.
>
> And there is no solution. When I block a user he must believe that
> I've been disconnected, but since icon is retrieved via HTTP from a
> permanent storage then there is way to realize that I've blocked such
> user. The only solution is carrying the icon in the NOTIFY itself as
> XMPP does (by default).
You know I agree that the SIMPLE specs are not that good and really
looking forward for a better alternative.

Funny enough, we talk about all these advanced things, like
within-document references, while there are no clients implementing
properly the basics. Like, ok, let's have the buddy list in one document
for now and working well.

I don't think that xmpp has external references in buddy list, am I
wrong? That means 80% of open IM market didn't feel the need for it.
With private IM networks, I couldn't spot client options for it (e.g.,
yahoo, skype, etc).

http://www.asipto.com