[sr-dev] OT: How do you use Git?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Sep 30 01:58:25 CEST 2010

Hi Daniel, Andrei, Jan, etc.

I have been trying to learn Git so that I can maybe help with the
documentation on the project like I said once I would.  Along the way,
I have become curious how the project is managed as it relates to Git.

I have read over Jan's impromptu Git tutorial that he posted on the
Kamailio-devel list some time ago to try to help out people switching
from SVN, but still have some questions.

I am curious, what methodologies and tools do you use for hosting the
central Git repository for sip-router?  For instance, what scripts and
tools are used to generate e-mails about submitted patches to the
sr-dev list -- are they standard ones that come with Git, or something
handcrafted or third-party?  Also, how do you handle automated pushing
and pulling of various developers' branches?  Does the system only
pull your personal branch, so that any topic branches you make are
purely your own and when you want them put into the mainline code, you
merge them into your main branch so they get pulled upstream?  What
does the workflow/process like?

Thank you!

-- Alex

--