[sr-dev] git messing again

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Thu Oct 7 09:30:04 CEST 2010

On Oct 07, 2010 at 09:15, Jon Bonilla <manwe at aholab.ehu.es> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> In the past I broke the repo because I erased a couple of folders and created
> symlinks with the same name. That caused several problems to git.

I wouldn't say you broke the repo. Merges and cherry-pick from version
with the folders to versions with the symlinks became more painfull
(requiring 1 or 2 extra commands).

> Now, I want to do it again. I realized that symlinks where a mistake and want
> to erase them and create the folders again. I need some assistance not to break
> the repo :)
>
> Would it be safe if I erase the symlinks and recreate the folders in two
> different commits? Maybe the problem was doing so in the same commit/push?

The problem appears if you keep the same name, but change the type
(e.g. file foo becames directory foo, or directory foo becames symlink
foo).
The only way to avoid it is to use a different name (e.g debian_lenny
instead of debian-lenny) or maybe a different path (e..g
pkg/kamailio/debian/{debian-etch, debian-lenny ....}).

Andrei