[sr-dev] Proposal: New Dialog Module Design

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Mon Mar 22 19:21:22 CET 2010

2010/3/22 Henning Westerholt <henning.westerholt at 1und1.de>:
>> Ok, but I still don't understand the purpose of such new callback.
>> What/ would be useful for? an example?
>
> This callback is useful for dialog clients (like qos) in order to be monitored
> when a spiraled request is received. A way to achive the existing behaviour
> without the "allow_multiple_dialogs_for_spiral" parameter.

Ok, but how would work such callback? This is, a dialog is generated
for the first time an INVITE arrives to the proxy and later a spiral
occurs. A special callback is invoked. And what? what does it mean?
How do the info about the dialog look after such callback has been
invoked? does it change?

Of course, I don't like neither the option
"allow_multiple_dialogs_for_spiral". I've just introduced it because
somethiing liek it seems to be needed for certain modules. If it can
be replaced by a more ellegant solution (as the callback you suggest
if finally I understand its aim) then it's more than welcome :)

>> I agree, from the point of view of SIP protocol a dialog exists
>> between two endpoints. However we are already "breaking" such concept
>> when we try to "monitor/handle" dialogs in a proxy (which should be
>> dialog aware). This is, at this point it's not so important to mantain
>> the "romantic" concept of the SIP protocol :)
>
> Well, i think that one of the important decisions that must be done in a
> design process is to agree and adhere to some scope that is covered from an
> implementation. And my proposal for the scope in this regards is that we track
> dialogs like they are defined in 3261.

I agree.

> This standard is probably not perfect,
> but i don't agree to you here that it defines something romantic. ;-)

Probably not a good choice to name it :)

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>