[sr-dev] improving the dialog module

Timo Reimann timo.reimann at 1und1.de
Mon Mar 15 11:47:40 CET 2010

Ovidiu Sas wrote:
> From my prospective, in the case of a spiral, there is more then one
> call.  And I like the fact that the statistics is showing this.

Just to be sure, let me stress that we are talking about
dialog-transparent proxy stuff all the time, nothing like B2BUAs where a
single dialog would be split into two dialogs for the sake of, say,
media translation. Regular, dialog-transparent proxying is what my
single-dialog approach is dealing with only; nothing more, nothing less.

If that's not an issue, I believe we have a fundamentally different
understanding of what a SIP dialog is.

> There are many other cases when a single dialog approach is breaking
> other things.  For instance, the qos module is keeping track of the
> media connections between the two endpoints.  In a single dialog
> approach, this will not work.

Could you elaborate on this please? I'm wondering because the number of
media connections should not change no matter how many spirals there
are, no matter whether there is just one or multiple dialogs used to
track the spiraled call flow. It will still be just one end-to-end SIP
connection with a single media connection.

Cheers,

--Timo