[sr-dev] git:andrei/raw_sock: raw sockets: udp send will use now raw sockets if enabled

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Wed Jun 16 08:48:15 CEST 2010

On Jun 16, 2010 at 08:41, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> 15 jun 2010 kl. 16.45 skrev Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul:
> > raw sockets: udp send will use now raw sockets if enabled
> >
> > A raw socket, that will be used for sending, is now initialized on
> > startup. The operation can succeed only if sr is started as root
> > or with CAP_NET_RAW.
> > If the initialization fails and the raw sockets are forced on from
> > the config (udp4_raw = 1), ser won't start. If the raw socket are
> > in auto mode (udp4_raw = -1), sr will start, but with the raw
> > socket send part disabled (normal udp send will be used).
> >
> > If the raw socket part is not disabled at startup, it can be
> > turned anytime on/off via the runtime cfg. framework.
> >
> > Note: the raw socket send is supported only over ipv4 and for now
> > only on linux.
>
> Andrei,
> Can you explain the benefit of the raw sockets too? This sounds very
> interesting, but I don't see the reason why you want this. I am very
> curious!

It's experimental stuff for now.
See http://lists.sip-router.org/pipermail/sr-dev/2010-June/007760.html
for a little more info. More details after I get to do some performance
testing.

Also parts of the code will be used in the future for icmp based
blacklisting and maybe for some kind of udp only transparent proxy or load
balancer modules (icmp much more likely to happen though).

Andrei