[sr-dev] git:andrei/raw_sock: core: basic raw socket support functions

marius zbihlei marius.zbihlei at 1and1.ro
Mon Jun 14 14:08:26 CEST 2010

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2010 at 12:37, marius zbihlei <marius.zbihlei at 1and1.ro> wrote:
>
>> Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway from the coding point of view I'm almost ready, the testing will
>>> be more difficult.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>>

>> Hello Andrei,
>>
>> I might help with testing and providing some performance numbers.
>>

> Thanks a lot!
>

>> Unfortunately I only have access to some quad core Xeon servers, not
>> 8 cores.
>> If the weird UDP behavior appears also on 4 cores(less lock
>> contention), I can run a test plan.
>>
>> My idea is to have several UDP workers (I plan to use 8- this will
>> allow the kernel to distribute them evenly on all 4 CPUs - as the
>> machine is idle). I plan to test using other 2-3 machines for
>> sending SIP messages (using sipp or sipsak). Ser will just send some
>> replies with some error code. I will measure the  throughput over a
>> 1 minute interval on the ser machine,  with both current UDP sender
>> and the new UDP over raw sock sender.
>>
>> If this is ok then in the afternoon I will bring some results. Any
>> suggestion regarding the test plan is welcomed.
>>

> Well, while there is little more to be done, the code is not yet testing
> ready (a few small things like on-send fragmentation and integration in
>  ser are still missing). I'll have it ready sometime this week, but I'm
>  not sure I'll have time do it today or tomorrow.

Hello,

I want to test using some small sip replies(so I am not sure if
fragmentation takes part). Of course the fragmentation code should also
be tested for performance. Ser integration is another issue. Do you plan
to use a global parameter to switch between normal sendto() function and
raw sockets ?

Marius