[sr-dev] git:andrei/raw_sock: core: basic raw socket support functions

marius zbihlei marius.zbihlei at 1and1.ro
Mon Jun 14 11:37:47 CEST 2010

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
> Anyway from the coding point of view I'm almost ready, the testing will
> be more difficult.
>
> Andrei

Hello Andrei,

I might help with testing and providing some performance numbers.
Unfortunately I only have access to some quad core Xeon servers, not 8
cores.
If the weird UDP behavior appears also on 4 cores(less lock contention),
I can run a test plan.

My idea is to have several UDP workers (I plan to use 8- this will allow
the kernel to distribute them evenly on all 4 CPUs - as the machine is
idle). I plan to test using other 2-3 machines for sending SIP messages
(using sipp or sipsak). Ser will just send some replies with some error
code. I will measure the  throughput over a 1 minute interval on the ser
machine,  with both current UDP sender and the new UDP over raw sock sender.

If this is ok then in the afternoon I will bring some results. Any
suggestion regarding the test plan is welcomed.

Cheers
Marius