[sr-dev] autogenerated docs for cfg vars, rpcs and selects

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Wed Feb 24 18:59:40 CET 2010

I've created some perl scripts that generate documentation (both in txt
and docbook format) from the cfg vars, RPCs and select declarations
in the code.
The RPCs and cfg vars include also the doc strings. The selects are only
listed (more then that cannot be automatically extracted, but at least
their name is self-explaining in 99% of the cases).
The scripts (for now only in the andrei/cdefs2doc branch) require a
non-standard perl module (GCC::TranslationUnit) with one extra patch
to it and take a lot of time to execute. Because of this I think it
would be much better to also have the generated documentation in the
repository, in the xml and .txt format (it would add 500k-1Mb of docs).

Examples:

html generated from the auto-generated docbook xmls:
http://sip-router.org/docbook/sip-router/branch/andrei/cdefs2doc/cfg_list/cfg_var_list.html
http://sip-router.org/docbook/sip-router/branch/andrei/cdefs2doc/rpc_list/rpc_list.html
http://sip-router.org/docbook/sip-router/branch/andrei/cdefs2doc/select_list/select_list.html

txt output for the cfg vars:
http://git.sip-router.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=sip-router;a=blob;f=doc/cfg_list/cfg_core.txt;hb=refs/heads/andrei/cdefs2doc

example of an auto-generated xml:
http://git.sip-router.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=sip-router;a=blob;f=doc/rpc_list/docbook/rpc_core.xml;hb=refs/heads/andrei/cdefs2doc

(note that the above example were generated from older code and not from
the latest master or 3.0 versions)

If you have an idea for better formatting, please provide a short xml
example.

If nobody speaks against it, I will merge the branch into master next
week and start to re-generate the docs periodically.

Andrei
P.S.: for the perl scripts see
http://git.sip-router.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=sip-router;a=tree;f=doc/scripts/cdefs2doc;hb=refs/heads/andrei/cdefs2doc