[sr-dev] IPv6 problem with kamailio 3.0

Wed Feb 17 14:36:22 CET 2010

Am 16.02.2010 21:36, schrieb Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul:
>> just as info: I have "dns_try_ipv6=no"
>
> Try dns_try_ipv6=yes (or change it at runtime with
>   sercmd cfg.set_now_int core dns_try_ipv6 1
>

>> but as this destination is already an IP address this setting should not
>> matter.
>
> I think we better fix the docs. If dns_try_ipv6 is off, no hostname
> resolving that would result in an ipv6 address would succeed (it doesn't
> matter if an actual dns lookup is to be performed or the host is already
> an ip address).

OK.

> I don't think that the case where you don't want AAAA lookups, but you
> want IPv6 addresses in hostnames has much practical use, except maybe
> some extra optimization (at least to me it sounds strange that you would
> support IPv6 addresses, but not dns names).
>
> If it's about the order of AAAA and A lookups, this can be controlled
> (setting dns_cache_flags to 4 will try AAAA first and then A,
>   by default it's the reverse).
>
> So do you really want to optimize away the AAAA lookup made if an A
> record is no found?

In my setup I want to enable IPv6 support for local users, but use only
IPv4 interconnect with other SIP domains.

The reason is, that when I call force_rtpproxy() I need to know if the
target is v4 or v6 because I have to set the proper rtpproxy flags to
enable v4/v6 RTP interworking. When the call gets routed to another
domain I do not yet know which target IP address (v4 or v6) will be
chosen when calling rtpproxy.

Of course I assume that RTP will use same IP version than SIP, but I
think this is usually the case and if callee again uses other IP version
than the callee's proxy should take care of transcoding.

regards
klaus