[sr-dev] Question about config framework (ser)

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Wed Feb 17 11:22:31 CET 2010

On Wednesday 17 February 2010, Miklos Tirpak wrote:
> [..]
> 2) Some modules update local or even shared memory variables based on
> cfg variable changes. It would be nice to solve as many cases within the
> framework as possible. For example the modules could have write access
> to their variables during fixup, or more complicated structures could be
> stored not only int and str vars. If you miss any feature therefore you
> keep variables outside of the framework then please speak up!

Hi Miklos,

indeed this is another problem which we've also discussed during the planning
for the cfg framework migration work, its present for example in the ratelimit
and carrierroute modules.

Quite a few kamailio modules implemented also their own version of reload
functionality with a FIFO command, e.g. "reload_fifo" in
modules/carrierroute/cr_fifo.c. This is more or less a similar use case like
the cfg framework represents (atomic reload of a variable), but with a a bit
more complicated data structure (route_data_t).

So having a generic version for this in the cfg framework would be indeed nice
in my opinion.

Cheers,

Henning