[sr-dev] Initial DB Merge Proposal

Jan Janak jan at ryngle.com
Thu Sep 24 12:51:47 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Martin Hoffmann
<martin.hoffmann at telio.ch> wrote:
> Grzegorz Stanislawski wrote:
>>
>> What i'd like to propose is to allow user enter its own query string
>> (as modparam) which would be executed by certain module in certain
>> situation.
>
> Have you considered using database views? This should give you the
> freedom you need in your own database definition and maps it to the
> well-known database model for SR.
>
> Keeping such a well-known model adds a layer of dependability. Everyone
> who knows SR will be able to query relevant information right away. And
> from the view definitions, this person will immediately see how it maps
> to your internal data model.

You can still do it. But I think Grzegorz has a point in saying that
instead configuring just column names we should make it possible to
configure the whole query.

That's something that was not possible to do in older SER versions due
to the way SQL queries were built and executed, but it is possible
with the newer version of the database api.

  Jan.