[sr-dev] DB API and connection keepalive

Jason Penton jason.penton at smilecoms.com
Tue Sep 22 09:28:56 CEST 2009

Hi *,

What would be the suggestions regarding having a process / thread that can
be used to ping (keepalive) a connection to a particular db backend. I am
specifically looking at coding something for mysql (our firewall is closing
connections to mysql if they are idle for longer than 30mins). I would like
to have a process that would go through all connections and "ping" them
every so often. I would imagine each DB impl can either ignore the ping
function or actually do something with it. I would imagine this will be
useful for a few backend db implementations. Any input before I go ahead?

Cheers
Jason