[sr-dev] Commit requirements

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Fri Oct 30 14:01:11 CET 2009

On Oct 21, 2009 at 11:33, Henning Westerholt <henning.westerholt at 1und1.de> wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2009, Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
> > > "the code must compile on all the arhitectures (this currently includes
> > >    linux, freebsd, netbsd, openbsd, solaris >= 8; x86, ultrasparc,
> > > strongarm;
> > >     gcc 2.95, 3.x, icc, sun cc >=5.3)."
> > >
> > > How is this tested? Do all developers have access to all these
> > > platforms? Do we have a buildbot that automatically runs these tests?
> >
> > It's not. I used to do it for older ser versions, before releases.
> >
> > However even if it's not tested all the time, it's a good reason to
> > reject patches or fix someone elses code.
> >
> > For example I seriously doubt that sr compiles anymore with sun cc 5.3.
>
> Hi,
>
> so perhaps we can remove this requirement from the documentation, or relax it
> somewhat?

We could change it to a should.

> I also would like to ask about the gcc 2.95 requirement, its also a
> bit hard to test, IMHO. I have no machine available which still uses this
> version.

I think a "should" would be ok in this case too (it allows you not to
test with it, but also makes it ok for  somebody else to make the code
 gcc 2.95 ready).

The reason for keeping gcc 2.95 is that it's still in use on older
stable system, it compiles very fast and the effort to make the code gcc
2.95 ready is quite small (I was able to fix everything in 1 or 2
hours).

In the future we might add clang.

Andrei