[sr-dev] git:sr_3.0: registrar: Fix handling of cases where contacts > max_contacts

Jan Janak jan at ryngle.com
Tue Oct 27 13:35:31 CET 2009

Juha,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com> wrote:
> jan,
>
> i once suggested to k folks that k should report an error only when the
> error is caused by the proxy itself, not by anything user can do.  the
> idea was not accepted.

We may need to revisit how we log messages into syslog in sip-router.
I remember we already discussed this (with Andrei and Daniel iirc),
but decided not to do it because we were just starting to merge
modules and it would have been too many changes at once.

Ondrej, a colleague of mine, already worked on this and prepared
scripts (sip-router/scripts/logging) and some documentation
(sip-router/doc/logging-api.txt) which can be used to unify log
messages.

We may also need to change the log level of some messages, for
example, lots of memory allocation errors are now logged on L_ERR,
together with many less-critical error messages, such as parsing
errors. This makes it difficult to mute some of them unless you change
the code.

Another nice improvement would be log-level configurable per-module,
so that you can selectively enable/disable more logging for individual
modules when you are debugging them. The sip-router core has the
config framework which could be used to implement this efficiently.

In my previous commits I changed those error messages that generate
too much traffic in syslog by default. We run sip-router on iptel.org,
that's a public SIP service and we cannot control what user agents
people use. Lots of them are broken and generate bogus SIP messages
which then trigger syslog errors.

  -- Jan