[sr-dev] git:master: Merge branch 'master' of ssh://oej at git.sip-router.org/ sip-router

Jan Janak jan at ryngle.com
Sat Oct 17 19:24:06 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> 15 okt 2009 kl. 09.17 skrev Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul:
>
>> On Oct 15, 2009 at 02:03, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Module: sip-router
>>> Branch: master
>>> Commit: 233fb5015484069f56f57f1a279c95288337d001
>>>
>>> Author: oej <oej at edvina.net>
>>> Committer: oej <oej at edvina.net>
>>> Date:   Thu Oct 15 02:02:50 2009 +0200
>>>
>>> Merge branch 'master' of ssh://oej@git.sip-router.org/sip-router
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Please try using always git pull --rebase origin master instead of
>> git pull origin master.
>
> git pull -rebase origin master fails...
>
> git pull --rebase origin master
> docbook/catalog.xml: needs update
> docbook/entities.xml: needs update
> modules/ctl/README: needs update
> modules/ctl/doc/ctl.xml: needs update
> modules/ctl/doc/params.xml: needs update
> modules/ctl/doc/rpc.xml: needs update
> modules/tm/README: needs update
> refusing to pull with rebase: your working tree is not up-to-date

This message tells you that you have uncommitted changes in your
repository and you need to either commit them or revert files that you
modified but do not want to commit before you can run git pull
--rebase.

As the next step run git status. This will list all files that you
modified but did not commit. If you have modified some files and want
to commit them then add those file with git add and then run git
commit. If you do not want to commit some of the modified files then
you discard the changes by checking out the original file with git
checkout.

After that you can run git pull --rebase again. This command downloads
latest changes from the shared repository, then it temporarily removes
any local commits that you made and saves them as patches in a
temporary directory. After that it applies the newly downloaded
commits from the shared repository and then it applies your local
changes on top of them.

After that you can push your commits into the shared repository with git push.

The cmd line argument '--rebase' tells git "I want to apply all my
local changes on top of the latest code that is currently available in
the shared repository".

> Sorry for all this mess, I'm still a newbie at git and docbook...
> Feels very embarrassing, but hopefully my adventures will help to get
> documentation trimmed ;-)

No problem, we all learn, so don't worry about that too much.

By the way, it might help if you did all the docbook related changes
you want to do on a separate branch. This would allow you to commit
them in any order you like and when you are done, we can merge them
into the main master branch as a whole. The advantage of this approach
is that you can change things as many times as you want and when you
are done, we can just merge all your changes as one bigger, nicely
formatted commit.

If you want to try that then create a new branch:

  $ git checkout -b docbook origin/master

Now do any changes you like, commit them, and when you have something
you want to share with us then push it into the shared repository
with:

  $ git push origin docbook:oej/docbook

After that we will be able to see your changes, they will be stored in
branch oej/docbook in the shared repository.
You can still continue making changes and when you are again ready,
repeat the push.

   -- Jan

  -- Jan