[sr-dev] release branches

Jan Janak jan at ryngle.com
Sat Oct 10 13:34:53 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul
<andrei at iptel.org> wrote:
> [...]
> The kamailio_3.0 branch is not yet created, but it can be created any time
> the kamailio release managers decide it's best.
> It should be created from sr_3.0. E.g.:
> git checkout -b kamailio_3.0 origin/sr_3.0
> git push origin HEAD:kamailio_3.0 # this command will create it

I think it is safer to write the last command as:

git push origin kamailio_3.0:kamailio_3.0

To explain the parameters:
 - origin is a shorthand for the remote repository URL

 - the name before the colon (:) is the name of the local branch you
want to push
   into the remote repository (the name after -b in git checkout above)

 - the name after the colon is the name of the branch you either want
to create or
   push to (if it exists) in the remote repository.

I think we should not be using HEAD in such commands because HEADs can
be detached (not referring to any branch).

  Jan.