[sr-dev] Database docs - INSTALL

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Fri Oct 9 13:51:08 CEST 2009

On Freitag, 9. Oktober 2009, Juha Heinanen wrote:
>  > I agree. IMHO both kamctl and kamdbctl tools can be promoted as new
>  > management scripts for sip-router.
>
> regarding kamctl, i don't think that it is a good idea to include
> possibility to provision database table entries with it.  lcr, for
> example, has a large number of fields in gw table and it is very
> cumbersome to try to add gws using kamctl.  phpmyadmin, siremis,
> etc. are much better tools for that.
>
> so my suggestion is to drop all db record related operations from
> kamctl.

I also think that the scripts are a bit cumbersome, i never used kamctl for DB
provisioning sof far. But aparently some people uses this, as i received a
bunch of patches for adding support for cr tables for example, or to fix
problems in existing ctl code in the past. So i don't think we should remove
it right now. Before that we should add a "this is obselete and its planned to
be removed, please speak up now" warning message to the script and let it stay
there for one release cycle.

Regards,

Henning