[sr-dev] Database docs - INSTALL

Jan Janak jan at ryngle.com
Fri Oct 9 12:10:39 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
> As a separate issue for a morning discussion, we need to discuss the varius
> "*ctl" apps.
>
> The INSTALL document fails to mention that we have kamdbctl that will
> populate the databases with the proper tables and indexes automagically for
> you. Now, this is on the kamailio side of our schizophrenic product, so it's
> propably not very generic - or have we reached a stage where the database
> tables are the same for both variants of sip-router?

No, not yet, so far we have two separate database schemas.

> If so, we should propably move kamdbctl out of the kamailio corner, move it
> up front and rename it srdbctl or something more generic.

I agree. IMHO both kamctl and kamdbctl tools can be promoted as new
management scripts for sip-router.

On ser side we currently have no equivalent of kamctl. We have a bunch
of management tools written in python but these tools need to be
updated for sip-router. In fact they can live alongside of kamctl,
because their purpose is slightly different.

As for kamdbctl, on ser side there are similar script for each
database (i.e. ser_mysql.sh, ser_postgres.sh). But they are less
advanced than kamdbctl so we can adopt kamctl and remove the ser
scripts from the repository later.

  Jan.