[sr-dev] INSTALL file

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Oct 9 08:57:22 CEST 2009

Good morning, team!

I took a look at the INSTALL file yesterday, and it's getting very old
and not very up2date.

I added a small part in the beginning to explain the new product:

+  Welcome to the SIP router! This is an amazingly flexible, robust
+  and secure SIP server built on years of experience in several Open
+  Source projects. It's a merge of the SIP Express Router and the
+  OpenSER/Kamailio products produced by a joint development team.
+
    This memo gives you hints how to set up SIP Router quickly. To
    understand how SIP Router works and how to configure it properly,
-  read admin's guide available from SIP Router website. We also
-  urge you to read latest ISSUES (available from SIP Router website
+  please read the admin's guide available from the SIP Router website.
+
+  We also urge you to read latest ISSUES (available from SIP Router
website
    too) and check for potential problems in this release.
-  Users of previous releases are encouraged to read NEWS to
-  learn how to move to this new SIP Router version.
+  Users of previous releases are encouraged to read NEWS to learn how
to move to
+  this new SIP Router version.

OK?

I also changed the layout to make it more readable. Seemed like many
people have added to the file during the years and had different ideas
on formatting.

The documented only mentioned Mysql as a module and made it sound like
installing Mysql was a requirement unless you wanted to run without
any security at all. I rephrased that and changes to "a database
module, like MySQL" and mentioned Berkeley DB and PostgreSQL somewhere
to make it a bit more generic and also show that we have support of
multiple databases.

There are also parts that refer to commercial support by iptelorg and
iptelorg bulletin boards that I think we either should remove or make
more neutral by referring to a "group of commercial companies
providing support" and a sr-biz mailing list.

One thing I did not attempt was to sort out the modules part. Now, I
know that we will have a few different distributions that emphasize
the kamailio side or the ser side, but I also do believe that a lot of
people will simply download sip-router. Should I make an attempt to
explain this for the coming release in the INSTALL file? It feels
important.

Feedback, please before I commit :-)

/O