[sr-dev] kamctl dir and git

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 08:05:12 CEST 2009

On 06.10.2009 18:17 Uhr, Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
> There is a known bug in git when dealing with merges involving a file
> that was transformed in a directory (e.g. foo => moved to foo/foo).
> Merges with branches made prior to such a move will fail.
> (http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/53402
>  https://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2007/9/18/270272/thread )
>
> This affects us too: tools/kamctl was moved in tools/kamctl/kamctl.
> This means that any merge with a branch made prior to 22 Sep will fail,
> requiring non-trivial manual intervention.
>
> We have the following possibilities:
>
> 1. ignore and wait for a fixed git version
> 2. rename tools/kamctl to something else, e.g.: tools/kam_ctl,
>  tools/kamilioctl (only the directory name has to be changed)
> 3. move tools/kamctl to utils/kamctl
>
> I would go for 3 and I would move also pike_top in the process and drop
> tools/.
> So is anybody against it? Any reason to keep separate tools/ and utils/
> directories?

I think there was a discussion about these two directories concluding
that 'tools' is more appropriate for importing the kamctl in. From my
point of view, having all in one directory is fine, no matter what is
the name.

I would move/do as well:
- scripts/* to somethimg like utils/sertools/*
- test to utils/udpflood or utils/test
- profile/ has same files like utils/profile (haven't diff'ed to see if
same content), but probably profile/ can be removed and keep only
utils/profile

I am thinking in having the core structure cleaner, with only one dir
where what related (scripts or other apps) and not linked to core is
located.

* Kamailio SIP Masterclass, Nov 9-13, 2009, Berlin
* http://www.asipto.com/index.php/sip-router-masterclass/