[sr-dev] SNMPstats module

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Oct 1 14:46:53 CEST 2009

>> I still want to have a discussion about the last part above - why
>> are we not using the standard SIP mib where we can?
>
> Well, I think we should use the standard SIP mibs where they are
> available.

Anyone else in the developer community with any insights/opinions?

>> Also, maybe we should reorganize the mib so that we suballocate for
>> future use outside of snmp
>>
>>    kamailiooid.10    SNMP
>>    kamailiooid.20    LDAP
>>
>> Right now I believe we're using the full OID directly for snmp
>> subclasses.
>>
>> Anyone that has experience of organizing OID trees that can give
>> some input?
>>
>> We can't change it in every release, as we will propably break
>> existing scripts and management platforms, so we will have to try
>> to do it right while we're messing with it :-)
>>
> OK, but since I haven't been using it heavily, I cannot say how is
> better to have the OID trees. Therefore I can help a bit more with
> messing that with doing it right from first time :-) .

My thinking is that we might at some point end up having to specify
our own LDAP schemas. Having a nicely build OID tree makes it more
simple to handle this, since LDAP schemas use OIDs as identifiers as
well. I guess that other developers can come up other  protocols that
use OIDs too :-)

Any more input from the rest of the crowd before I move ahead and
start messing with this?

/O