[sr-dev] IETF - pro and con

Martin Hoffmann martin.hoffmann at telio.ch
Mon Nov 9 14:11:34 CET 2009

Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Olle E. Johansson schrieb:
> >There's been a lot of virtual slander of the work in the IETF on
> >this list lately...
> >
> >I keep wondering, why doesn't people like us start working more in
> >the IETF and change stuff? Are we not patience enough, are we not
> >brilliant enough?
>
> Because IETF is too cumbersome and simple pragmatic solutions are
> not accepted :-)

There may be some truth to the answer, but there is also the fact that
simple pragmatic solutions often only work for a very limited audience.

Take the nathelper example. Sure it works brilliantly if you have a
simple network and have everything under your control. But when things
get a bit more complex, there is interop issues aplenty.

Most of the stuff coming out of IETF you can easily ignore. And if you
have something working, you may very well get it through. XMPP is an
example of that. In the SIP world, it seems the attitude currently is
changing a bit towards that too.

Regards,
Martin