[sr-dev] why new tcp connection?

Fri Nov 6 14:29:38 CET 2009

Hi Juha!

Personally I do not like the alias approach. IIRC correctly there were
some security issues with aliases (at least some time ago) and ser does
hand aliases a little bit different then described by IETF to avoid this
issues.

To solve the situation there are 2 other solutions:
  1. in client
  2. in server

1. client:
The client learns the public socket during REGISTER (Via received+rport
in response) and changes its contact in REGISTER and INVITE messages to
the new one learned. This is for example what xlite and pjsip does. This
approach does not work if the client does not register - if it only
sends INVITE then there is no learned socket available in the initial
INVITE.

2. server
I use the pragmatic, and well working UDP approach. Just call
fix_nated_contact/register also for TCP clients. I never had any issues
with that.

regards
klaus