[SR-Dev] what if ...

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Thu May 21 13:01:18 CEST 2009

On May 21, 2009 at 13:22, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/21/2009 12:10 PM, Jan Janak wrote:

> >> as lot of processing is done with the message in shm anyhow, I tried to
> >> figure out the impact of the rest of processing. So you say that is
> >> better to copy to pkg and re-parse, than working with shm structures.
> >>
> >> The access is not sync'ed, as there will be same usage - in one process
> >> - just the alloc/free will be different.
> >>

> > I think it would make sense to make the memory allocator used in parsers
> > somehow configurable, so that we can select whether the parsed structure is
> > stored in shared or in private memory.
> >
> > Not only this could save us some memory copying in modules like tm, but we
> > could also experiment with using the shared memory directly in some parts of
> > the code.
> >
> Yes, being configurable will make happy everyone.

While I agree with making the parse function use a configurable memory
allocator, I don't agree with parsing in shm from the beginning.
That would be useful in an extremely limited number of scenarios (e.g.
 config containing only t_relay()).
In most configs there are different decisions or routing "branches" that
don't go through tm (e.g. if (...) drop;). Forcing shm allocation for
every packet would lead to a significant performance drop, especially on
machines with lots of cpu/cores (it scales terribly).
Apart from that there are the other problems I've mentioned.

The pkg_malloc() part takes an insignificant amount of time compared to
shm. Even with the memcpy() when cloning to shm we loose very little
performance when compared to going shm from the beginning for all the
packets (even for ones that won't be relayed/handled through tm).

We could have this discussion again once we have new shm memory
allocators (we have already some semi-experimental stuff, but it still
not on-par with fmalloc on single or dual cpus, much more work has to go
into them).
Until then and unless someone is able to show me some hard evidence (tests),
I won't agree with going shm from the beginning.

> Since we are here, couple more thoughts about discussions we had in the
> past on various mailing lists:
> - when there are changes in the parsed headers structure, there are
> other parts of code forgotten to be updated, usually TM. I was thinking
> it might worth to change the parsed field from void* to pointer to a
> structure like:
> {
> void *data;
> void free_function(void *data);
> void *clone_function(void *date, malloc_function, free_function);
> }
>
> Drawback is two more pointers, but if we remove most of "very unused"
> direct header hooks, then we have same spare space...

It wastes too much space for no good reason. The forget to clone new
headers in tm problem is already handled by the compiler: a warning will
be generated if someone forgets to add a header to sip_msg_cloner.

Instead of the 2 function callbacks, we could add a "flags" member in which
we could mark if the header is alloc'ed in shm, pkg, should be freed a.s.o.

> Advantage will be automatic and easy cloning/freeing.

Andrei