[sr-dev] git:master: * Core, etc, documentation: renamed ser to sip-router

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 17:14:44 CEST 2009

On 06/24/2009 04:50 PM, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:
>
>  > I would prefer to stick and keep the name as "sip express router" rather
>  > than dry "sip router" -- it makes an unique identifier for the
>  > project.
>
> "sip express router" gives message that the project is just a new
> version of ser and does not recognize the work done by lot of people on
> openser and kamailio.  if you want a unique identifier, invent a new
> one.

I am not eager to find a new one, there is no pressure to release entire
project from sip-router.org git repository under new identity, so I was
happy with using ser so far and no others complained. SER can be from
"sip extensible router" or something else in the middle starting with "E".

Regarding the relevance of contributions based on project name, you have
a lot if work done in ser as well, from before the openser fork. Many
others have as well and sip router as name does not suggest/recognize
better the work of people from different project.

While sip router is ok to preserve in a way or other in the name, there
is need for something like a middle name so one can quickly match this
project.

When talking with people about sip router, the first project coming in
their mind is ser, then is kamailio (openser) (and maybe others),
explaining the existence of a third one named exactly "sip router" is
kind of awkward and very confusing.

http://www.asipto.com/