[sr-dev] git:master: * Core, etc, documentation: renamed ser to sip-router

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 16:50:33 CEST 2009

On 06/24/2009 04:39 PM, Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 June 2009 15:22:50 Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

>>> I like this proposal, look simple and clear.
>>>
>> This is very bad from project identity point of view. I have been few
>> weeks ago at a conference in Germany and telling people that I present
>> sip router, everyone asked "which one?" It really looks ridiculous to
>> say something like " I manufacture a car named 'car' " (or "I develop a
>> sip router name sip router").
>>
>> Therefore, if matters, there should be some other identifier for the
>> project to make it easy to refer to others.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel
>>

> Hi Daniel, I was just speaking about the binary/config name, not the project
> name.
>
> I supposed that if sip-router is been used as project name from the beginning,
> chaning it now could be dangerous ... another project name change in less
> than a year ? ... buff I don't see it

I think you do a confusion at this particular time. Kamailio project
goes on because there are overlapping modules from ser that won't be
integrated. I don't think that people would be happy to drop modules
from a side or another (e.g., like auth modules that are present in both
modules_k and modules_s).

We are talking about this particular project hosted by sip-router.org
which had no release so far, but needs an identity. Next version of
kamailio will still be named kamailio and include the modules inherited
from kamailio, probably including some modules from ser as well.

As it seems a pure ser release is not planned yet, we can stick with
this name for a while, because it is there and it is unique. In
kamailio, we do releases every 6 months, therefore September is just
about the time.

http://www.asipto.com/