[sr-dev] Compilation ignoring directory settings

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Thu Jun 11 11:22:13 CEST 2009

On Jun 10, 2009 at 17:30, Edson - Lists <4lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> At the moment, compiling with Your sugestion...
>
> But isn't this a workaround, since, in Makefile.defs (lines 234-235) is:
> # target dirs for various stuff
> cfg_target = $(prefix)/$(cfg_dir)
>
> I'm not sure if it's the correct approach... at lines 1713-1727 both
> variables (cfg_dir and cfg_target) are exported... maybe only cfg_target
> is used, but as pointed before, it's derived from cfg_dir. I don't
> expect it to work...

cfg_dir = config dir without the common prefix = etc/$(MAIN_NAME)

cfg_prefix = config install prefix = $(basedir)$(prefix)
cfg_target = where ser thinks the config is = $(prefix)/$(cfg_dir)

The ideea is that you might want to install into some tmp. directory
(e.g. for creating a binary archive, a .deb a.s.o), but have the binary
search the config in the final install path, e.g.:

make install BASEDIR=/tmp/sr prefix=/usr/local cfg_target=/usr/local/etc

(will install in /tmp/sr/usr/local, but the config. path will be
 set to /usrlocal/etc => we could create a binary package from /tmp/sr
 that will use the proper config file).

What should probably be done at some point is to split cfg_prefix (and
all the other *_prefix) into cfg_install_prefix and cfg_target_prefix.
This way we'll have even more flexibility and we could have better
default choices.

Andrei