[sr-dev] almost ok with testing

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Sun Jul 19 13:45:40 CEST 2009

Jan Janak writes:

 > I think that the biggest problem is to decide how do we want to do something
 > like this with the XML-RPC interface? Should we make the XML-RPC
 > client announce an IP address and port number for incoming XML-RPC
 > methods to the server and let the SIP server do a XML-RPC method call
 > on the client?

jan,

in click-to-dial app, user's web browser sends request to web server,
which in turn generates xmlrcp requests (invite, refer, bye) to sip
proxy and responds to user when the last xmlrpc request has terminated.

using normal web programming means, i don't know how web server could
respond immediately and then later inform the user about the status of
the operation.

 > Or should we perhaps extend XML-RPC in a non standard way and
 > introduce something like provisional replies in SIP? (i.e. first the
 > server would send a 100 to notify the client that the request is
 > being processed and then send a 200 to notify the client that the
 > request was finished)?

i have seen xmlrpc server responding with 100 trying.  i think there is
a http header or parameter that client can use to tell if it wants to
receive provisional responses or not.  however, i don't see how
provisional responses would help here.

from user's point of view, the best solution would be such where sr
xmlrcp server would be waken up by tm module when final response to the
issued sip request has arrived after which the server would respond to
the xmlrpc client.

-- juha