[sr-dev] Debian problems

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Thu Jul 9 12:05:47 CEST 2009

> Hi Andrei!
>
> Thanks for fixing the debian specs. I found the following problems:
>
> What are ser-ai1 and ser-nth packages? Some proprietary modules?

No, they are just some meta-packages (they are empty, they just depend
o other packages, triggering their installation).

ser-ai1 = ser all in one - will install:
            ser-oob, mysql-server, rtpproxy, mystun, sipsak, tcpdump,
            ngrep, iftop, serweb, sems
ser-nth = usefull tools to have installed on a ser test server (e.g.
          gdb )

We use them on iptel.org servers for easy installation
(e.g. apt-get install ser-ai1 ser-nth  => ready to use).

> sr libraries (kcore, srdb1, srdb2 ...) are included in various other
> ser-packages (mysql, postgres ...).

That's bad. We would need to handle this by hand (adding rm srdb1 ...
 to the debian rules for mysq and postgres).

> IMO, all those libraries should be part of the main package.

I think we should make another db package, that will contain all the
db related modules (no db drivers, only modules that use the db api)
and the db libs and then have the mysql and postgres packages depend on
it.

I'm trying to map packages to makefile module groups (e.g.
make group_include=db modules-all) so that we'll have only one place to
modify the list of the modules.
The modules groups were introduced long time ago by Greger. You can easily
select between groups of pre-defined modules  e.g.:
make modules-cfg group_include="standard db mysql_driver experimental"
(note that the "db mysql_driver" is equivalent to the mysql group).

We only need to update the modules list for each group and maybe
add a few new groups that will map 1:1 with the packages.
For example right now the main debian package uses the "standard" group,
which contains stable modules in widespread use that do not have any
external dependency (of course the list of the modules needs an update).

Andrei