[sr-dev] version of s tables

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Mon Jul 6 10:10:20 CEST 2009

Martin Hoffmann writes:

 > > in scripts/mysql/my_create.sql there is no version table.  does it mean
 > > that s ser database tables don't have any version number?  if so, they
 > > have to be added in order to allow easy db table upgrade.
 >
 > What? Why? One of the Great Annoyances of S[E]R is the feckin' versions
 > table. We had various surprise breakages with assorted panic because of
 > it.

as i already mentioned, table upgrades are much simpler if you know the
current version of the table.  if you don't, then your (php or whatever)
upgrade script needs to analyze each field of the table based on (in case
of mysql) textual output of describe statements, which is not very
convenient.

if you have an easier means to do the table upgrades, please let me
know.  in the meanwhile, i can use my private version table.

-- juha