[SR-Dev] [Serdev] sip-router: modules & repositories

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Thu Feb 26 02:43:18 CET 2009

On Feb 26, 2009 at 02:15, Jan Janak <jan at iptel.org> wrote:
> On 24-02 12:13, Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
[...]
> >                  - if someone working on the ser_30 branch (for example)
> >                    finds a problem in the core and wants to fix it, it
> >                    has to do it on the master branch.
>
> Switching branches in git is not that convenient if you are in the middle of
> some bigger changes and you have lots of uncommited changes. That practically
> means that you would have to clone the repository again, discard your local
> changes in the new clone and checkout another branch (master). Then you need
> to switch back to your original repository and merge the changes you just did
> on the master branch.

That could be done much more easier with git stash (I use it a lot):
git stash save "my changes"
git checkout master
git stash pop # applies saved changes

Moreover I don't expect that the situation in which you are working on
some project specific branch and you have to do some changes on the
 common part will occur so often (it does now, because we still need to
 do frequent "adjustments" as testing/integration progresses, but it
 will change).

Note also that having 3 repos will not help here (you'll still have to
do common part changes on the sip-router repo/main) and I don't think
you could use git stash in this case (unless you import all into the
same local repository).