[sr-dev] [Kamailio-Users] [SR-Users] kamailio 3.0 - the time before freezing

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Aug 24 15:29:27 CEST 2009

Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> Just as a different example, sqlops plus some scripting could obsolete
> most of db-connected modules - auth_db, alias_db, speeddial, uri_db,
> a.s.o, but doing so is not at all a good decision.

In the case of my implementations, I have to do this quite frequently
because I do custom integration projects that incorporate specific
providers' sometimes very esoteric business logic.  The sqlops module
was one of the best things to ever have happened to Kamailio, and I am
very thankful for it.

My understanding is that the argument for using a native DB-connected
module boils down to the fact that most of these modules do some sort of
in-memory caching and/or buffering of large data sets, and use data
structures and search algorithms that are appropriate to the nature of
that data.  So, this results in much faster processing with less
overhead and, of course, less database load.

I try to use them whenever possible.  But sometimes it is not, which is
why I am very grateful for the thought that went into creating
parameters like this:

    http://www.kamailio.org/docs/modules/1.5.x/auth.html#id2505013

-- Alex

--