[SR-Dev] Module Documentation

Martin Hoffmann martin.hoffmann at telio.ch
Tue Apr 21 09:57:00 CEST 2009

Jan Janak wrote:

> But if our goal is to produce plain text READMEs, wouldn't it make more sense
> to adopt something simpler, for example the dokuwiki format? It is easily
> readable as plain-text and we can edit it in the wiki and synchornize with
> READMEs in the repository.

This sort of leads to the lightweight markup approach. Basically, add a
small amount of markup and formatting rules to the README so that you
can turn them into a man page, PDF, Wiki pages, you name it.

The Python people use RST everywhere -- the entire documentation
basically is RST files (on docs.python.org you can even check the raw
files). While I am personally not too fond of RST, it would be a good
choice since obviously processing the stuff in Python is easy.

If we then define the required sections in the README file, we can write
a little script for turning it into nroff or docbook or whatever.

Regards,
Martin