[SR-Dev] git:master: Merge branch 'master' of ssh://jh at git.sip-router.org/sip-router

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Fri Apr 17 13:25:28 CEST 2009

On 17-04 13:04, Jan Janak wrote:
> With 'git pull --rebase', the result would have looked like this:
>
>  A--B--C--D--E--F--1--2--
>
> I.e. there is no merge commit and your changes are aplied on top of changes
> done by Daniel. In this case, 'git pull --rebase' would have removed your
> commits "1" and "2" from the local branch, the it would have downloaded
> commits "E" and "F" from the remote repositorie and applied them to the local
> branch. After that it would have re-applied your commits "1" and "2", which
> were saved in a temporary directory during the process.

Thinking about it a bit more, this is exactly how 'cvs update' and 'svn
update' work, so if you are used to that behavior then you can use 'git pull
--rebase'.

The extra added value feature of git over cvs/svn is that it allows you to do
the commit(s) before you do the "update", and during the "update" it preserves
the commit(s), including their commit log messages.

  Jan.