[SR-Dev] git:henning/trie_mods: Merge commit 'origin/henning/trie'

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Thu Nov 27 18:25:42 CET 2008

On Nov 27, 2008 at 17:58, Henning Westerholt <henning.westerholt at 1und1.de> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 November 2008, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> > Module: sip-router
> > Branch: henning/trie_mods
> > Commit: ecaca6b8fc03cdc0a0668175719dcba5ae3fe280
> >
> > Author: Henning Westerholt <henning.westerholt at 1und1.de>
> > Committer: Henning Westerholt <henning.westerholt at 1und1.de>
> > Date:   Thu Nov 27 14:00:30 2008 +0100
> >
> > Merge commit 'origin/henning/trie'
> >
> > * commit 'origin/henning/trie':
> >   add trie to library directory
> >   add SHM_MEM_ERROR and PKG_MEM_ERROR logging macros to mem.h
>
> Aaaaaaahrg, this git is killing me. :-/ I just want to start a new branch from
> the master with:

It's ok, you didn't do anything wrong :-)

> git push --dry-run --verbose origin origin:refs/heads/henning/trie_mods
> Pushing to ssh://git.sip-router.org/sip-router
> To ssh://git.sip-router.org/sip-router
>  * [new branch]      origin/HEAD -> henning/trie_mods
>
> This looked ok, and trie_mods branch is now created, but now i've made
> probably another mistake. Andrei, can you perhaps reset the master again? Why
> i got the same log message now? Also an issue with my git installation? I'll
> tomorrow update my system, this can not continue this way. :-(

No, there isn't any problem, the commit is on your trie_mods branch not
on master.
You see the commit message because of the email script we use and not
because a mistake in the merge.
The email script tries to send mail only for new commits, but if it
doesn't find anything new (like in this case), it sends the top of the
branch commit anyway as a failsafe (it doesn't have special support for
detecting newly created branches).
You should read this message as: henning/trie_mods created with
 head == displayed commit :-)
We might extends the mail script in the future to send a better message
in cases as above if people find the current behaviour too confusing
(but for now I consider this quite low priority).

For now our email script does not support:
- new branch created messages
- non fast forward updates of a branch
- branch deletion
For all of the above a commit message with the current head of the
branch will be sent (for the delete it would be the old branch head
 and the branch name will have DELETED appended to it).
Should I make the script public somewhere? Is anybody interesting in
extending it?

Andrei