[SR-Dev] [Kamailio-Devel] static buffers

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Thu Nov 27 16:22:51 CET 2008

On Thursday 27 November 2008, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> There seem to be many places where static buffers are used for building
> strings. It is clear they are used just for usage inside some functions,
> with no need to keep the value for usage somewhere else.
>
> Would defining a global static buffer to be used for such cases make
> sense? The access to the pointer and size can be given via functions.
>
> There could be couple of such buffers to be used in the cases one
> function need concurrent access to more than one ... opinions? It will
> reduce memory space reserved and used...

Hi Daniel,

what about getting rid of this static buffers completely? If we want to go
multi-threaded sometimes, we need to lock every access. And i doubt it really
makes a difference from the performance POV nowadays. The only issue i could
think of is eventual memory fragementation..

Cheers,

Henning