[SR-Dev] commit message subject

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Fri Nov 21 16:10:09 CET 2008

On 21-11 15:55, Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2008 at 15:20, Jan Janak <jan at iptel.org> wrote:
> > Andrei,
> >
> > did you setup a different commit mailer for sip-router git repository than the
> > one that we had for the ser git repository?
>
> No, it's the same as for ser, with --first-parent added to git rev-list.

  OK, my bad, I thought I added the branch name in the subject line, but it
  was the repository name in fact.

> > If so, do you think you could modify it to include the name of the branch
> > in the subject of the message?
>
> Current format:
>
> $subject = "git" . ":" . $repos_name . ": " . ${$info{"log"}}[0]
>
> I think we could remove the repo_name, or replace it somehing shorter.
> My preffered format would be:
>
> $subject = "git" . ":" . ${$info{"log"}}[0]$ . "(" . $ref ")"
>
> (the most visible part == commit summary rather then branch).
>
> What do you think?

  $subject = "git" . ":" . $ref . ":" . ${$info{"log"}}[0]$ . "(" . $ref ")"

  This way we would replace the repository with the name of the branch.

  Having the branch name in subject would be IMO very useful, because it
  would allow us to filter out commits specific for a particular branch, i.e.
  when I scan through the list of commit logs on the mailing list, I could
  easily filter out commits in andrei/* if I need.

> BTW: I think I finally found out how to get mail only for the new
> commits (the --first-parent is an improvement, but with complicated
> commit trees it sometimes get confused and outputs too many commits):
>
> git rev-parse --not --all|  grep -v $new |
>  git rev-list --stdin $new ^$old
>
> I'll try to play with test a little, maybe I can fix the commit new
> branch part too.

  OK, I agree.

     Jan.