[SR-Dev] extending module interface

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 11:53:31 CET 2008

On 11/20/08 12:40, Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2008 at 11:50, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> working to port PV engine to srouter, but also needed for kamailio's
>> migration of pseudo-variables (PVs) from core to modules, I need to
>> extend the module interface. The srouter has already support to work in
>> dual mode committed by Andrei few days ago, so it should affect only
>> kamailio's module interface if ser side does not need.
>>
>> Here is the issue. In kamailio/openser we have so called transformations
>> that are bound to PV. They are now implemented directly in core. To move
>> them in a module, the interface needs to be extended, like we did in the
>> past to export PVs from modules.
>> The important aspect is that they must
>> become visible immediately after the module is loaded -- this happens
>> also with PVs (so cannot use mod_init, etc...). This is required because
>> they may occur during script parsing, therefore the core/parser should
>> get knowledge of them in very early stage.
>>
>> PVs are exported via a specific structure in module interface. We can do
>> same for transformations. There is another option, which can be used for
>> other purposes in the future - introducing in module interface a
>> callback to be run immediately after a module is loaded. The
>> transformations can be exported inside the callback.
>>

> I personally don't like extending the module_export structure. It was
> done a lot in the past (both in kamailio/openser and ser), but IMHO
>  is a mistake, because then you have to update _all_ the module to the
>  new interface or do some hack like we have in sip-router to support
>  several module interface versions.
> Instead of extending the structure is better to either add a new one
>  an look (dlsym) for it when loading a module (if it's not present we
>  just assume the module doesn't implement it), or use a callback.
>

>> Extending this way, in the future, the modules can make other attributes
>> visible to core/other modules immediately after loading without changing
>> the module interface.
>>
>> Therefore I would go for second option. Other opinions?
>>

> I prefer the callback too. As a matter of fact the first ser versions
> used to have a mod_register function for exactly that purpose:
> the module loader would resolve the mod_register symbol (dlsym()) and
> then call it. In the first versions mod_register would also add/register
> the module_export structure (which was not automatically loaded).
>
> I was going to propose mod_register revival too, for slightly different
> reasons:
>  - IMHO the mod_export structure is too big and some parts of it are
>    used only by a few modules, so I think it's easier/nicer to keep it
>    smaller and register the not so common stuff from mod_register.
>  - using this callback mechanism is easy to extend mod_export in the future
>    without requiring _any_ change in modules who don't implement / don't
>    care for the new functionality.
> [...]
mod_register sounds good.

I was looking to keep everything in module_exports structure, just for
consistency. But this indeed requires a lot of updates upon small change
there.

As you say, from perspective of portability, exporting by function is
better.

What would be the meaning of path parameter in mod_register? The module
name?

http://www.asipto.com