[SR-Dev] operators and variables

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 23:48:42 CET 2008

Hello,

[...]
>> We could support them right now in parallel with the old ones and
>>  obsolete +, ==  and != for strings in the future (but that means we
>>  still cannot optimize '+' in all the cases) or switch right now
>> (maybe with some old compat switch which will support old scripts
>> style).
>>

> I'd prefer to not introduce too much compatibility layers, this makes
> debugging and maintaining both the code and the config script more harder
> then necessary in my experience.

I agree here. Although we aim to have full compatibility with K and S
configs, I am looking at it more as functionality, not as syntax. I am
using this opportunity for doing cleanups and removing unused/useless
functions.

In K we dealt very good with big changes between major releases, by
having migration guides in the dokuwiki. There were not many complains
about syntax changes.

So if the decision is to go for "." in string concatenation expressions,
let's stick only to it. Same for other cases, provide onlye one (and
good) option. Anyhow will be a big update, and in this case everyone
does testing.

http://www.asipto.com