[Kamailio-Devel] avp naming

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Thu Mar 12 20:59:14 CET 2009

Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:

 > working to integrate the PV module I reached the AVPs and after a short
 > analyze I wonder (and ask you) whether you should drop the naming scheme
 > we have in Kamailio (integer id and string name) and stick to string
 > names all the time.

i'm using exclusively integer ids and would oppose dropping them.  this
kind of radical change simply cannot be done unless you can do it such a
way that integer names are internally auto-converted to strings.  this
change would affect not only the script, but also db tables where all my
avp name columns are ints.

i once looked at kamailio code and got the feeling that lookup with
integer names was faster than with string names and therefore started to
use integer names.

 > The benefits I see:
 > - complexity in dealing with integer id or string name
 > - avp name aliases removed

i have never used name aliases.

-- juha