[Kamailio-Devel] [Kamailio-Users] New module : PURPLE - IM/Presence multi-protocol gateway

Victor Pascual Ávila victor.pascual.avila at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 15:48:34 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Eric PTAK <eric.ptak.fr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with you, the module needs improvements on that point.
> It's a really old point I missed when we decided to reuse and to reverse
> that module.
> I think about two manners in order to solve it :
> * implement a return code for purple_send_message
> * sending a reply directly in the module
>
> Regarding the design of the module, I think both possibilities needs a lot
> of mod.
> I'm not sure how to consider that mod as it's not a bug but a limitation.
> Is it a new feature I'll code when the trunk will be unfreezed ?
> If yes, we may add that limitation in the doc for now.
>
> Eric.
>

> 2009/1/29 Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
>>
>> Why is needed to reply "200"? doesn't this module act as a proxy
>> waiting for a response from downstread (i.e. MSN network) and mapping
>> that response to the appropiate SIP code?
>>
>> This is: if I send a MESSAGE to a MSN account not online (or not
>> existing) I will receive "200" anyway, shouldn't I receive a 480 or
>> 404?

First of all, Eric thanks indeed for the new module :-)

If we are to live with such a limitation I would suggest sending back
a 202 response instead. It doesn't make a big difference but the
return code might be relevant in some scenarios:

-If the UAC receives a 200 OK response it may assume the message has
been delivered to the final destination
-If the UAC receives a 202 Accepted response it may assume the message
has been delivered to a gateway but has no information whether the
message has been delivered to the final destination or not.

Victor Pascual Ávila