[Kamailio-Devel] [ openser-Bugs-2524684 ] /dev/urandom doesn't exist on FreeBSD

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 20 22:03:43 CET 2009

Bugs item #2524684, was opened at 2009-01-20 22:03
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=743020&aid=2524684&group_id=139143

not just the latest update.
Category: core
Group: None

Initial Comment:
/dev/random is non-blocking on FreeBSD, like /dev/urandom on Linux. I changed to /dev/random, recompiled and things worked fine.

Before:
an 20 20:43:54 sippan kamailio: WARNING:core:main: could not open /dev/urandom (2)
Jan 20 20:43:54 sippan kamailio: WARNING:core:main: using a unsafe seed for the pseudo random number generator

A good article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urandom

Maybe the name should be depending on operating system. Seems like /dev/random is safe on FreeBSD, depending on how many bytes we read.