[Kamailio-Devel] question regarding fork and kamailio global variables usage

Kalpesh Rathod kalpeshrathod at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 14:27:40 CET 2009

Hi Henning,

Thanks for the reply. I have got the info I was looking for.

sounds interesting, what kind of OS is this?

 [kalpesh] vxworks

> To what kind of global variables do you refer to? In the shared memory the
> access to the data is guarded by the internal memory manager. You find it
> in
> the mem/shm_mem.{c,h} files.

 [kalpesh] I am referring to the variables which are global by their scope,
declared outside
any function body.

> > So,after fork parent and child both interprete global data differently or
> > is there any design rule enforced that after fork no.process
> > will be writing global data. (igonre the cleanup for a while). Will there
> > be any any problem if I dont give child task its own copy of
> > global variables and let them use the same copy as parent?

  [kalpesh] I meant:
   consider global variable is_main. The interpretation of this variable is
different in
   main process and the rest of the children it forks. I am looking the code
into more
   details for other such type of global vars to achieve the objective of
converting
   processes to threads.

   Regards,
    Kalpesh