[Kamailio-Devel] [Kamailio-Users] SIREMIS feedback

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Feb 13 18:59:52 CET 2009

Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> although we have discussed internally at asipto, I want to see opinions
> from others related to ability of displaying (eventually editing) config
> file in siremis.

Do you mean just editing the text of the config?  Or do you mean editing
the config in some high-level way?

You probably mean the former, but if by chance you mean the latter, I
personally would recommend staying away from this.  It seems like it
would be an unmanageable mess.

The problem is that Kamailio is far too polymorphic and extensible, and
there are as many ways to write a configuration as there are to skin a
cat.  Everyone's configuration file is going to have different
attributes, except in the respects in which they all must be common of
course.  But the applications vary immensely;  the config route script
is part of what makes the system such a powerful building block of SIP
telephony applications and platforms.

This means you have to build and maintain another another parser and
lexer or hijack the existing one. Either way it would have to be
outboard and feed data into the PHP application as Bison/flex/friends
don't output PHP parsers.  Then, you are still left with the challenge
of interpreting the many thousands of permutations of configuration that
come out of the parser in various data structures, although you are
assisted here by the relative rigidity of the route script syntax in
contrast to, say, Perl.

The other alternative would be to take the approach of many web
front-ends to complicated things;  have SIREMIS generate the
configuration out of a template, and produce a result that is rich with
meta-data.  This means it is not especially feasible to edit it manually
afterward;  you must use SIREMIS for all aspects of configuration, else
you break the meta-data and SIREMIS won't understand the configuration
anymore.  That in turn means you are now limited in capabilities to
merely the set of common things SIREMIS supports.  That is clearly a bad
idea that is anathema to the very essence of the purpose of the route
script.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov